A century old company with a legacy of innovation

In 1903, The National Lime and Stone Company was founded on one of the largest, purest, and most easily accessible limestone deposits in the world.

For five generations, people with imagination, innovation, and determination have built National Lime and Stone into one of the nation’s strongest, most dependable sources of crushed stone, sand, gravel, and industrial mineral products in the world. Three recurring themes have guided this development, as we strive to:

  • Add meaningful and sustained value to customer operations.
  • Seek continued improvement through innovation and operational efficiency.
  • Pursue controlled, profitable growth.

With these themes guiding them, the more than 400 people who are currently part of the National Lime and Stone family are unrelenting in their efforts to see that in the company’s second century, the best is yet to come!

Since 1903...

  • 2014
    Purchased Lash Paving with asphalt plants in Martins Ferry, Cadiz, & Empire, OH
  • 2013
    Won the Northeast Oil & Gas Award for Specialty Industry Supplier of the Year in the Utica Shale; opened Recycled Concrete Yard in West Columbus
  • 2012
    Acquired Chesterville Sand & Gravel; opened a Rail Yard in Martins Ferry, OH
  • 2011
    C. Paul Palmer IV named President and COO of National; Carleton P. Palmer III remains Chairman and CEO
  • 2010
    Opened new rail yards in Cleveland, Ohio and Erie, Pa
  • 2009
    Opened 4 rail yards in Eastern OH and Western PA; Glenwood, in Pittsburgh, becomes first Rail Yard outside of Ohio
  • 2007
    Purchased J.P Sand & Gravel in Southeastern Columbus and Suever Stone in Delphos Ohio
  • 2006
    Entered the Aggregates Recycling Business in Columbus market
  • 2005
    C. Paul Palmer IV, joins National, representing a fourth generation of the Palmer family
  • 2002
    Acquired Hamilton Quarry, Delaware County materials, and Penry quarries 
  • 2000
    Columbus Region plant modernized, becoming the only fully-fractionated plant in Ohio for custom-designed construction aggregate products
  • 1996
    Remote Rail distributions yards established in Canton, Wooster, Tusky, Cadiz, and Akron
  • 1994
    Developed new process to pelletize limestone fines and EcoPhrst line established
  • 1992
    Old Findlay Plant renamed Lake Cascades, becoming new corporate headquarters, and offers a mixed development of residential and commercial sites
  • 1992
    C. Paul Palmer Jr. retires as Chairman of the Board; Carleton P. Palmer III elected Chairman
  • 1989
    Secured large railroad ballast supply contract from Norfolk and Western Railroad and builds new high capacity, automated quarry at Findlay
  • 1988
    Purchased the Upper Sandusky sand and gravel operation
  • 1986
    Installed new computer-controlled stone processing plant in Lima
  • 1984
    Acquired Western Ohio Stone in Lima
  • 1983
    Purchased the Wapakoneta Sand and Gravel plant
  • 1980
    Carleton P. Palmer III becomes President and CEO; C. Paul Palmer, Jr., becomes Chairman of the Board
  • 1971
    Third generation of the Palmer Family joined National, Carleton P. Palmer, III
  • 1961
    Expanded into the Columbus market with the acquisition of the Scioto Lime & Stone Co., Delaware quarry
  • 1950
    C. Paul Palmer, Jr., named president of National
  • 1948
    Reclaimed the Arlington quarry, showcasing our commitment to environmental excellence that continues to guide the company to this day
  • 1948
    Purchased the Buckland Plant
  • 1940
    Second generation of the Palmer Family joined National; C. Paul Palmer, Jr., elected to the Board
  • 1938
    Purchased Marion Sand & Gravel, a company with properties in two counties
  • 1937
    Concrete business added in Lima with two trucks and a Concrete mixer
  • 1935
    Purchased the Lima Stone Company
  • 1930
    Added Washing and Reclaiming plant at Marion and Sand washing plant at Lima; opened Findlay plant and Carey quarry
  • 1929
    Purchased 65 percent of stock of Ohio Blue Limestone and its Marion quarry
  • 1927
    Corporate office moved to Findlay
  • 1926
    Established the first laboratory in the industry; located at the Carey Plant, it is used to aid in quality control and product development
  • 1926
    Carey Lime Plant #2 erected
  • 1926
    Acquired National Quarries, which operated quarries in Lima and Bucyrus
  • 1926
    Acquired Bluffton-Lewisburg Stone Company, giving National quarries in Findlay, Bluffton, Lewisburg, Rimer, and Arlington
  • 1920
    “We Like The Lime Business” slogan used in an ad for its Monarch Hydrated Lime product
  • 1906
    Carleton P. Palmer Sr., joined the company as Director
  • 1903
    The National Lime and Stone Company formed in Carey, Ohio, consisting of three lime kilns and a small stone operation